List of Publications
Click on the underlined title to see illustrations and more details.
The following local history books on Willesden were researched by WLHS members. Booklets are available by post if £1.00 is added to the price.
'The Story of a Road - Dyne Road Brondesbury' by Gwen Molloy. A4 format; 6 pp with 3 illustrations. Price £1.50.
Gwen Molloy, has struggled against failing sight to produce this booklet about the road in which she once lived. Memories and researched facts mix well in this short but illuminating sketch.
'Lost Willesden Railway Stations' (Second Edition) by Cliff Wadsworth. A5 format; 32 pp with 25 images. Price £3.00.
This booklet started out in response to finding a second photo of Old Willesden station in Acton Lane (closed in 1866). The other missing stations are 'Willesden Junction - Main Line', 'Kensal Green & Harlesden', 'Harrow Road', 'Dudding Hill', and the most obscure, 'Royal Show Ground'. Not only for anoraks!
'The Quiet Waters By' (3rdEdition) by Cliff Wadsworth. A5 format; 40 pp with 10 images. Price £3.00.
'The Quiet Waters By,' originally written in 1985, comprises notes and memories about the canal stimulated by many strolls along the Grand Union Canal in the Willesden area. This revision is considerably larger than previous versions and brings the story up to date.
'Roundwood Park' by Cliff Wadsworth. (4th Edition) A5 format; 24 pp with 13 images. Price £2.00.
This updated and enlarged edition of one of our best-selling booklets now includes O.C.Robson's plans for the Park which were presented to the Willesden Local Board on 3/1/1893. It is interesting to see how much of his vision was realised.
'The Waterways of Brent' by Cliff Wadsworth. A5 format; 44 pp with 25 illustrations. Price £3.00.
Brent is not famous for its waterways, yet, in varying degrees, they have been important to the development and prosperity of the area. The main natural rivers are; the Brent and its tributaries, the Wealdstone Brook, the Wembley Brook, and the Mitchell Brook; the Kilburn River; and a multitude of small streams that feed them. The artificial waterways comprise the Grand Junction Canal (renamed the Grand Union Canal in 1929 following amalgamations), and its feeder from the Brent Reservoir. The route of each waterway is described and historical notes included.
'A Distant View of Gladstone Park and Dollis Hill House' by Juliette Soester & Cliff Wadsworth; 2002. A5 format, 36 pp, 22 images. Price £3.00.
This booklet originated through Juliette's wish to record some of the old images of Gladstone Park she had collected over the years. Initially there was no intention to consider the history of Dollis Hill House, but residence and park are linked so closely that it is difficult to separate their histories. It soon became obvious that there is enough historical material to produce a tome of biblical proportions. This account is a mixed selection of items to present a general overview.
'Dollis Hill Research Station and the Secret Wartime Bunker.'
by Cliff Wadsworth; A5 format,
Much of the research work for this booklet was carried out to support an exhibition on the Research Station at the Grange Museum Neasden. It gathers together of primary and secondary references to the Post Office Research Station at Dollis Hill where the author worked from 1954 to 1977, and its now famous underground bunker. The effect of the establishment on technical innovation in electronics and related topics was unsurpassed in Brent and, for that matter, in the country. No attempt has been made to produce a technical history - a vast undertaking which needs attention, but one which will have to await a suitable author. As a local landmark, no Brent edifice has a more prominent site, and the quality of the main block is high, as were most public buildings of the time. The building is locally listed and has recently been fairly sensitively developed, so future generations may also enjoy the sight of the 'college on the hill with the green dome'
'Willesden Childhood and Schooling 1925 -1950 - A Social Contrast' by Gwen Molloy & Cliff Wadsworth; A5 format, 56 pp, 22 images. Price £4.00.
This booklet contrasts the schooling and living conditions of the WLHS Patron and Chairman. Gwen was brought up in the 1920's in a typical middle-class background. Her family was moderately wealthy, and provided a good Kilburn environment and private schooling. She left the area to go to University at the beginning of the War (1939). Cliff, by contrast, came from a proud hard working family who never had much money but tried to 'do the best for their son'. Soon after Gwen left Kilburn for her degree studies, Cliff started at a local community school. It was wartime. The intention of the booklet is to record the two different Willesden lifestyles from the first half of the 20th century, particularly in terms of living environments and education.
'Harlesden Green In The 1870's' by Amos Beeson. A5 format, 24pp, 10 images, Price £2.00.
Amos Beeson (1859-1938) was a well known figure in Harlesden for more than 70 years, and his family hardware business a local institution for even longer. In his later years around 1930, Amos gave lectures on the Harlesden of his youth under titles such as "Harlesden Green as it was 60 years ago." These talks were illustrated by slides of photographs and of his own watercolour paintings. To assist his memory he wrote notebooks containing outlines of the talks. Although these were scrappy and not intended to be read by others, they are of interest to local historians, since there are not many first hand descriptive accounts of Harlesden in the 1870's. They describe a tour of Harlesden and the surrounding area, starting at Kensal Green, up the Harrow Road to Harlesden Green, the Green itself, diversions to Willesden Junction, along Acton Lane to where Harlesden station now stands, then back along the Harrow Road as far as Stonebridge. Cliff Wadsworth has edited the text, and added notes on the Beeson family.
'Harrow Road' by Cliff Wadsworth. A5 format, 28pp, 15 images, Price £3.00.
This study commenced through interest in O.Claude Robson, the Willesden
Surveyor from 1875 to 1918, and his battles to improve the district roads.
Thus this Harrow Road story has a strong Willesden bias.
'Cinemas and Theatres of Willesden' by Cliff Wadsworth. A5 format, 44pp, 31 images, £3.00.
This booklet covers Music Halls, Theatres, and Cinemas of Willesden and environs, some planned but not realised, others reaching the brick and mortar stage. One difficulty in presenting this handbook is the number of times theatres were renamed in their operational life. Sometimes they boasted more than one title at a time!
'Beating the Bounds - A Walk Round the Willesden Boundary' - The WLHS Millennium Project by WLHS members. A5 format, 36pp, 22 illustrations, Price £3.00.
To mark the special '2000' occasion it was felt that publishing a booklet describing the old borough boundary, to be followed by walks around it, would make a suitable project for a local history society. Ten WLHS members have contributed in describing the Willesden boundary today with notes on items of historical interest.
'Traditional Pubs of Brent; Vol.1 - Willesden' by Cliff Wadsworth.
A5 format, 48pp, 30 images.
Although Willesden has no very old inns in original condition, the history of pubs in the borough is long. All our oldest hostelries have been rebuilt, some several times, or demolished. The most ancient still standing date from the early or mid-19th century. It seemed a good time to publish a reference booklet on our old pubs, for two reasons. In the 1980's our licensing laws were relaxed to such an extent that new pubs and wine bars appeared in every major street. These new establishments (which are not included) have had a major effect on the older traditional pubs. Some of the latter, like the Spotted Dog, Neasden, the Pantiles, St.Raphael's, the Coach & Horses, Stonebridge, the Orange Tree, Stonebridge, the Green Man, Harlesden, and the White Horse, Church End, have already closed, and others are threatened. Another reason is that long-standing pub signs are being changed without any respect for their history, and sometimes to names that are ridiculous. A comprehensive index is included, and each pub described under the name it has borne longest.
'Traditional Pubs of Brent; Volume 2 - Wembley & Kingsbury' by Cliff Wadsworth. A5 format, 40pp, 29 illustrations, Price £3.00.
This companion volume to the previously published 'Willesden' booklet is in the same style. Thirty-eight pubs are included. The oldest pub sites, not surprisingly, are along the oldest roads; the Swan and Black Horse on Harrow Road, the Kings Arms and Red Lion on Edgware Road, the Chequers and Plough on Ealing Road, the Plough on Kenton Road and the Mitre on Watford Road. The Green Man on the top of Wembley Hill, although close to the old Harrow Road is the exception to the rule. The Clutterbuck family of Stanmore appear to have owned most of them at one time or another!
'Music at the Grand Junction' by Cliff Wadsworth. A5 format, 20 pp, Price £2.00.
A few years ago a very successful reunion of residents of Lower Place (a little known area of Willesden) was held. This booklet was produced to contribute to the festivities. It describes the fag end of musical evenings at the Grand Junction Arms in Acton Lane around the 1970's.
'Nothing too Large! Nothing too Small!' by Vera Thompson. A5 format, 28pp. Price £3.00.
Vera Thompson has written the history of the local firm of Garnier & Co. which, until recently, traded in Strode Road. The business has been at the forefront of vitreous enamelling for more than 100 years, yet is little known in Willesden. Vera should know what she is talking about since she owned the Company from 1971 to 1991.
'F.A.Wood' by Cliff Wadsworth. A5 format, 36 pp, Price £3.00.
Frederick Augustus Wood (1822-1904) was one of Willesden's greatest historians as well as a philanthropist and municipal worker of substance. He has never before been honoured with a biography, but better late than never. Wood lived in Willesden between 1866 and 1893, and spent the autumn of his life in Somerset. In addition to the life story, (which was difficult to research), the Wood Collection, all 150 volumes, has been examined and a new contents list compiled.
'Ken Valentine - A Master Local Historian' by Cliff Wadsworth. A5 format, 36pp; 15 photographs. Price £3.00.
This was written as a tribute to this talented WLHS member. Ken was known to the widest audience through publication of local history works, particularly the masterful 'Neasden: a Historical Study', but there were many other strands woven into his interesting life. Certainly Willesden in general, and Neasden in particular, never had a greater champion. The booklet includes a description of the Ken Valentine Collection presented to Brent Archive, and an interesting article by Ken on researching local history.
'Robson the Roadmaker' by Cliff Wadsworth. A5 format, 38 pp; 9 images. Price £3.00.
O.Claude Robson is not well known as a founder of modern Willesden, but from the time the newly formed Willesden Local Board appointed him their surveyor in 1875, until he retired in 1918, he carried out an enormous amount of work for the district. His involvement in roadmaking, sewerage and drainage, the fire brigade, and provision of parks, has left permanent memorials to him. This quietly dynamic, gentlemanly, and hard working man, and his grand works for Willesden, deserve to be recorded.
'A Walk Round St.Mary's Churchyard' by Cliff Wadsworth. A5 format, 28pp; 6 images. Price £2.00.
This guide to the old Willesden cemetery describes some of the interesting people buried there. Burials have taken place at St.Mary's probably since the 10th century, and certainly from the 13th century. St.Mary's churchyard, if it is referred to at all, is usually recorded as the resting place of writer Charles Reade, and highwayman Jack Shepherd. The former is certainly one of the most famous people buried there, but, despite there still being some believers, the latter's burial is not marked nor recorded. In 1865 the churchyard covered less than one acre. On the north side of the church the boundary was where it is now, but on the east it extended further into Neasden Lane enclosing the paved area where now is a public seat. On the south side it ran behind the range of buildings which include the Vestry Hall, Church Path being then simply a path across the churchyard. On the west the boundary was along the path which now runs from the cemetery gates towards the railway. In 1866, when the Acton Branch railway line was being built, the local Burial Board bought an additional 4 acres of ground from John Prout, enlarging the churchyard on the western side to what it is today. This became known as the "New Section" and opened in 1868. In the short time up to 1884, more than 4000 burials took place in the consecrated part, and about 300 in the unconsecrated part.
'George Furness; Willesden's Greatest Resident?' by Cliff Wadsworth. A5 format, 22pp; 7 images. Price £3.00.
Willesden has a long and reasonably well-documented past. But one thing
in short supply is the number of long-term residents of international
fame. George Furness, who described himself as a "contractor of public
works" is arguably one of Willesden's most famous residents.
'Our Lady of Willesden' by Ken Valentine A5 format, 12pp. Price £2.00.
Using such ecclesiastical records as still exist, this essay searches
for the truth about Willesden's late-medieval shrine and pilgrimage, abolished
in 1538. Much of what is commonly said on the subject is shown to be false
or unsubstantiated: the pilgrimage probably started after 1474, but was
certainly well established by 1500. The author quotes royal accounts to
show that Elizabeth of York, Queen of Henry VII, sent offerings to the
shrine more than once. He shows that it was Thomas Bilney's sermon at
Willesden in 1527 that led to the prominence given to the shrine and its
pilgrimage in the writings of More and Tyndale and to its continued citation
alongside Walsingham, Worcester, and Ipswich as late as 1563.
'St. Mary, Willesden - A History & Guide' by Cliff Wadsworth.
A5 format, 86pp; 17 images.
The first substantial history of St.Mary's was published in 1970, and resulted from a request by the then Vicar of St.Mary's, Rev.George Oakley, to the Wembley History Society for such a document. It comprised "An Historical Introduction", "The Fabric and Other Details" "St.Mary's Memorial Brasses", "The Windows of St.Marys""The Vicars of St.Mary's". In this update, chapters on the Organs, the Bells, Blessed Mary of Willesden, a chronological Structural Development, the Hatchments, the Ledger Stones, and the Wall Monuments, have been added.
Available from WLHS chairman: 51 West Ella Road, London
Back to the WLHS page
This website is designed and hosted